Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29, 2014









A lesson to always follow the Spirit:  Usually, I get fed up with people hollering at me.  But this one took the cake.  Mostly people will yell "Wazungu!  Give me ten bob!"  But this guy I walked by yelled, from 30 feet away, "Church of Christ!"  CoC is another huge denomination here run by white people.  I was just about to walk by until I was almost punched by a force that said "What are you doing, Elder Dick?  Go contact him!"  So I did.  I figured he was just like everyone else...  "Yeah...  uh huh...  Okay sure you'll come to church (yeah right)."  We left.  He came to church.  What a small miracle!  Most missionaries hate contacting.  I usually do too, but I know that I need to do it.  And I know that it pays off!  He has a baptismal date now.  Follow the Spirit!

Some interesting Swahili words:


Moped - baiskeli moto - literally means "fire bike"  


Sometimes, people call electricity "moto" since it can somewhat look like fire.


Train - gari la moshi - car with smoke


Fizz - toa sauti kama gesi - give out noise like gas


Some favorite mottos:


"My ward is full of 3 types of people...Saints, Aint's, and Complaints."


"Work like a slave, live like a King."


"The three S's of sustain: Sustain, Support,and Suffer" - Bishop Tim Strickland

No comments:

Post a Comment